Pastor John Anderson
"Rejoice evermore." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Frank wasn't known for his patience, and he had absolutely no use for negative conversation. When he got a call from his wife during a busy day at work, she talked slowly and didn't seem very upbeat. Frank interrupted her and exhorted her to be brief and positive. She paused for a moment and then cheerfully replied, "I discovered the airbags in our new BMW work great!"
Life is not always positive but you can be! A baseball coach once told me when I was 13 years old: "Attitude is everything." There are so many things today that are completely out of our control. While we are limited in our schedules, travel, work, school, and the day to day routine, it may be a good day to ask ourselves: "How is my attitude?" Do I complain about things that I cannot control? Do I fill my heart and mind with negative reading and media coverage? Do I listen to discouraging voices around me? Am I the energy vampire that sucks the life out of everyone around me?
Maybe today God is using all of the negative circumstances around us to improve our attitudes. In the midst of a changing world, maybe we could change the world around us by improving our attitude towards God and life in general. Here are some practical ways that God has taught me to improve my attitude:
1. Write down a list of my blessings.
2. Read that list back to God in a prayer of Thanksgiving.
3. Listen to godly, encouraging music.
4. Reach out to be a blessing to someone who is discouraged.
5. Send 5 texts to friends or people who are on your heart and mind.
6. Read the Psalms and Philippians.
7. Walk and think about the greatness of our God.
8. Laugh. Find something funny, and enjoy the gift of laughter.
9. Answer happily and upbeat to negative people. (They hate that by the way 😝)
10. Pray about your attitude and ask God to change it for His glory.
Remember, there is always something to rejoice about. Start today! Be positive in your outlook and in your spirit because God is good and He has afforded you an opportunity to glorify Him through your attitude today!